Associate Principal Scientist â Computational Biology-RES001402
Merck is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and consumer health products, as well as animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company â one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of people like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
We currently have an opening for a computational scientist with expertise in analysis of complex âomics datasets. The successful candidate will serve as a primary scientific point of contact for data analysis in the newly formed department of Genetics & Pharmacogenomics (GpGx) at Merck & Co. The primary responsibility is in analysis of genetic and genomic data, with particular emphasis on integrating human genetic data with complex genomic datasets (e.g., epigenetic, RNA-sequencing, proteomics) and functional biology data (e.g., experimental results from RNAi). The role sits at the critical interface between genetic discovery and functional biology. Given the multi-disciplinary nature of the position, very strong collaboration and communication skills are required. A deep understanding of multivariate data analysis and statistical learning methods is required.
The responsibilities of the candidate include but are not limited to:
- Analyzing and integrating large-scale experimental data sets including gene expression, next-generation sequencing and RNAi screens to identify new targets for drug discovery.
- Performing biological pathway and network analysis to form hypotheses
- Collaborating with biologists to suggest further experiments and validate key findings.
- Designing, creating and maintaining databases to host, analyze and share raw and analysis data
- Devise strategies that leverage genomic profiling technologies (e.g., methylation/ChIP-seq/epigenetics, flow cytometry, metabolomics)
- Author sections of strategic plans related to target ID and validation
- BS/BA degree with a minimum 12 years of industry experience; or a MS degree with 8 years industry experience; or PhD with 4 years of academic or industry experience, preferably in genetics, genomics, computational biology, or a related field.
- Post-doctoral research experience (2-4 years) and/or at least 2 years of experience at a pharmaceutical or biotech company working on biomarker discovery for drug development
- Strong bioinformatics skills are required including programming in R/Matlab and Python/Perl.
- Expert knowledge of molecular profiling principles, concepts and theories.
- Experience in the design and bioinformatics analysis of large-scale molecular profiling studies involving transcriptional profiling using microarrays or sequencing technologies.
- Ability to interrogate biological pathways and networks using pathway analysis tools
- Subject matter expertise in human disease physiology.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills are essential, including an ability to communicate complex issues to biologists.
- Ability to design, assemble and use databases.
- Solid statistical training
- Proven capability to create bioinformatics software tools.
- Understanding of the role of biomarkers in drug developmentOur employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Merck’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives.
Search Firm Representatives – Please Read Carefully
Merck is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes ted by search firms to any employee at Merck via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V â proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Former Military, Transitioning Service Members, National Guard & Reserves – We value your past and present service.
Job: Research Science Generic
Job Title : Assoc Prin. Scientist, Research Science
Primary Location: NA-US-MA-Boston
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1