Professional Research Assistant – CFReT – 08037
Department of Medicine
Consortium for Fibrosis Research & Translation
Professional Research Assistant: Informatics Analyst
Nature of Work:
The University of Colorado, Department of Medicine’s Consortium for Fibrosis Research & Translation (CFReT) has an opening for a Bioinformatics Analyst. Under the direction and guidance of the CFReT Principal Investigator and Informatics Lead, this full-time, benefits-eligible position exists to act as an analyst within the research programs of Dr. Timothy A. McKinsey and other CFReT investigators. The CFReT is a multi-disciplinary program with emphasis on Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) technology to identify the genetic determinants of complex diseases, with particular attention to diseases with known health disparities.
The person in this position will be primarily responsible for analytical aspects of the research process with the PI’s group, including but not limited to the following: helping in the design of new studies, data cleaning and association testing, maintenance of current pipelines, development of new pipelines and preparation of abstracts, oral and poster presentations, scientific manuscripts, and research grants.
The person in this position will also interact with the Center for Biomedical Informatics and Personalized Medicine (CCPM) Translational Informatics & Computational Resource (TICR). The TICR is an in-house, comprehensive, high performance cluster supporting a multidisciplinary, robust computing resource to foster omics-based research using high-dimensional data (e.g., genomics, transcriptomics, microbiomics, proteomics, and metabolomics) and development and implementation of computational methods and tools for sequence analysis and systems biology approaches.
The person in this position will support use of this computational resource as appropriate for large datasets generated by CFReT investigators. The Informatics analyst will therefore: 1) provide consultation in study design, select appropriate algorithmic, software, and hardware resources for given projects, data analysis and interpretation of data generated by primary and secondary faculty members of the CFReT.
Professional Research Associate – Statistical Genetics, Computational Biology, Biostatistics, Bioinformatics.
Work is performed under the general direction, guidance, and supervision of the CFReT Informatics Lead (Dr. David Kao).
Examples of Work Performed:
- Use high performance computational resources to develop, refine and automate high throughput pipelines for analyzing large scale RNA-seq datasets from multiple human organ and rodent samples
- Management, analysis and interpretation of mRNA, microRNA, long non-coding RNA from RNA-seq data
- Management, analysis, and interpretation of NGS data
- Management, analysis, and interpretation of ChIP-seq data
- Perform in silico protein sequence, structure analysis, and use protein modeling methods
- Bioinformatics application development and creating data-driven documents using R/Python or related tools for visualization and analysis of the genomic datasets
- Act as a liaison between the PI’s research program, collaborating investigators, CCPM/TICR and UCD-Office of Information Technology
- Engage in collaborative research and publications
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in relevant sciences (statistics or health sciences) or informatics (computational biology, computational chemistry, bioinformatics, clinical informatics)
- Three (3) or more years of experience in one or more of these fields required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- The Informatics analyst should be exposed to a variety of bioinformatics methods and data types (e.g., analysis and workflow development for Next Generation Sequencing [NGS] data such as Whole Genome Sequencing, RNA-seq, and ChIP-seq data) or clinical informatics, supporting both the research and clinical informatics needs of the division and the computational biology core. Other knowledge, skills, and abilities include:
- Expertise in the use of informatics computing and data management packages
- The ability to collaborate with other team members
- Experience with R, PERL, Python, Java and MySQL
- Application development using Rshiny/Python
- Experience with the quality control of RNA-seq and microarray expression data
- Experience with multiple modalities of gene expression data including quantitative PCR, microarray, and RNA-seq
- Experience in RNA-seq and NGS technology, tools, and data analysis
- Experience in working with ChIP-seq data
- Understanding of the GATK pipeline
- Experience with microarray genotype data (analysis and imputation)
- Experience in working and analyzing SNP and CNV data
- Deep understanding of parallel computing to support high-throughput analysis
- Creative approach to problem solving and algorithm design
- Excellent verbal/written communication and presentation skills
- Expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts in NGS analysis
- Excellent teamwork and collaboration skills
- Effective process and project management skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Independent, innovative, and creative thinker
Salary & Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 8037
When applying, applicants must include:
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document Please be advised that the University does check references as part of the employment process.Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 — Anschutz Medical Campus – 20169 – SOM-MED-Cardiology
Posting Date: Jan 6, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Dennis Evans
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00050132