Seeking Either a Research Scientist or a Postdoctoral Researcher RIKEN Genome Information Analysis Team, Life Science Accelerator Technology Group, Division of Genomic Technologies, Center for Life Science Technologies : Yokohama, Japan
Genome Information Analysis Team, Life Science Accelerator Technology Group, Division of Genomic Technologies, RIKEN Center for Life Science Technologies (Team Leader: Alistair FORREST)
The RIKEN Center for Life Science Technologies has two core purposes. One is to develop key technologies for breakthroughs in the medical and pharmaceutical applications of life science. The other is to conduct groundbreaking research and development for the next-generation life sciences.
The Division of Genomic Technologies plans to develop methods for screening of key regulatory factors, which selection is based on transcriptional networks, epigenome and ncRNAs in order to establish a pipeline to accomplish complete cell conversion methods including differentiation of stem cells safely and terminally. We also develop methods for diagnosis of human biomarkers in human health or diseases.
Our Division is highly international, with both ‘wet’ and ‘dry’ researchers from around the world, and we have a reputation for transcriptome discovery through the FANTOM (Functional Annotation of Mammalian systems) projects. We are currently in the FANTOM5 project which has generated a Cap Analysis of Gene expression (CAGE) atlas using single molecule sequencing across a large collection of 1000s of human and mouse primary cells, cancer cell lines and tissue samples.
The Genome information Analysis Team will study transcriptional networks and develop innovative analysis technologies based on next generation sequencing data to clarify differences between normal and disease cells, such as cancer. The team will also develop methods to identify biomarkers for early detection of disease, and applications to use genomics data to broadly understand biological function.
Job title and description
[Position available] We are seeking either a Research Scientist or a Postdoctoral Researcher
*Research Scientist: Carries out the research and so on in accordance to the themes of the Team.
*Postdoctoral Researcher: Carries out the research and so on in accordance to the themes of the Team under the mentorship and training of supervisors.
1) Must have a Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, or a related field.
*Candidate for the Research Scientist must have more than 3 years of postdoctoral experience after the acquisition of PhD degree.
2) Is enthusiastic and have demonstrated track records of publication in any of the following (or related) areas.
• Long non-coding RNAs
• Large scale transcriptome analysis (RNA-seq assembly)
• Integration of large scale sequence datasets (RNA-seq, CAGE, ChIP-seq, DHS etc.)
• Systems biology and transcriptional regulatory network prediction
• Cross species sequence or network comparison
• Matched genome-transcriptome studies including eQTL identification
• Machine learning and pattern recognition
• Promoter architecture and motif finding
• De-convolution of cell mixtures from tissue expression profiles
3) Experience with working in a multiuser Unix/linux environment is required.
4) Experience with next-generation sequencing data (especially large next generation sequencing datasets) is preferred.
5) Experience with RNA-seq assembly (Cufflinks, Trinity, etc.) is preferred.
6) Experience with long noncoding RNA (lncRNA) annotation is preferred.
7) Experience with data integration and transcriptional regulatory networks is preferred.
8) A good team player who has proactive and constructive attitude (good communication skills are required, in order to complete the assigned tasks with the members of mixed nationalities).
9) Comfortable with English as a professional language for scientific discussion and publication (Japanese language skills are not required).
RIKEN Center for Life Science Technologies (Yokohama Campus)
1-7-22 Suehiro-cho, Tsurumi-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 230-0045, Japan