Foundation Medicine is seeking a talented, highly motivated and results-oriented Scientist to join the Molecular Biology and Sequencing group to lead development of targeted and whole transcriptome RNA-seq assays to address unmet clinical diagnostic opportunities in oncology. The ideal candidate has a strong working understanding of molecular biology and next generation sequencing, including RNA-seq sample preparation and data interpretation, and has research experience in a dynamic multidisciplinary environment. Responsibilities of this position include supporting the development and optimization of new RNA-seq based clinical diagnostic tests in close collaboration with the Computational Biology and Clinical groups.
- Work with a team of scientists to lead development and optimization of RNA-seq clinical diagnostic assays including development of targeted and whole transcriptome assays, stranded cDNA library construction and gene expression profiling
- Support the timely processing and reporting of oncology research samples to internal and external collaborators.
- Author detailed, accurate, and accessible records of experimental data and high quality protocols, present results at group and external meetings.
- Experience in standard molecular biology techniques and an understanding of the practices and principals of NGS, including hands-on development and optimization of stranded RNA-seq protocols, and various target-enrichment approaches (e.g. multiplex-PCR, hybrid selection).
- Experience working in a dynamic multidisciplinary environment with quickly changing priorities.
- Results oriented with daily focus on working to achieve project and group goals.
- Scientific thought process illustrating creative approaches to problem solving. Desire to increase knowledge and continue building skill set.
Desired Skills And Experience
- Research and development of genomics assays including writing experimental plans, refining protocols and writing data reports.
- Experience operating high throughput lab automation and NGS-sequencers
- Experience working with typical oncology specimens (e.g. FFPE, Blood, Bone Marrow)
- Basic NGS data management and interpretation (e.g. SAMtools, IGV/Picard)
Education Or Experience
- BSc, MSc, PhD, or equivalent, in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics is preferred
- Minimum 3-5 years working in Industry and/or Academia
- Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate scientific results in internal and external presentations and publications
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic, fast paced team environment