at the Vaccine & Gene Therapy Institute of Florida
At VGTI Florida, we are committed to discovering innovative therapies and vaccines to improve human health. It is ultimately the talent of the individuals we recruit that determines our success and our state-of-the-art technologies and resources that enable individuals to realize this success. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in research. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits but also work in an environment noted for community involvement, intellectual excitement, and natural beauty.
The Genomics Core within the Collaborative Genomics Center (CGC) at VGTI Florida provides services that include whole genome microarray analysis, sequencing based assays for sequencing genomic DNA, mRNA, microRNA, or ChiP, and gene validation.
Working under the supervision of the director of the VGTI Florida Collaborative Genomics Center (CGC), the Sr. Research Assistant/ Sr. Research Associate will utilize general molecular biology skills to perform routine, standard operating protocol-based laboratory research techniques and procedures. The Sr. Research Assistant/ Sr. Research Associate will also communicate directly with internal and external CGC clients to facilitate engagement of the CGC and completion of projects.
• Design, manage and interpret whole genome (e.g. Exome, GWAS) and transcriptome (e.g. RNA-Seq, miRNA-Seq) experiments with a high degree of independence
• Work in conjunction with other genomic and bioinformatic managers and staff.
• Perform RNA isolation from tissue, cell and blood samples, RNA amplification and labeling for microarray hybridization, quality control assays, and real time PCR.
• Work in a team to develop novel standard and low-input (including single cell) applications in next generation sequencing analysis of the human genome and transcriptome
• Provide genomics support to multidisciplinary collaborations focused on cancer and infectious disease (including HIV) vaccine and immunotherapy research.
• PhD in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Immunology or Bioinformatics or a related discipline
• 4+ years of industry, core service and/or academic lab experience
• Strong experience in genomic, epigenetic and RNA-sequencing bioinformatic analysis methodology
• Strong molecular biology, genetics, bioinformatics and biochemistry skills through graduate education and hands-on lab experience
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects
• Lab management or team leadership experience
• Strong knowledge in immunology
• A demonstrated peer-reviewed publication record
VGTI Florida is an EEO/AAP Institution committed to recruiting, hiring, and promoting qualified minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans.