Performs basic research duties under the supervision/direction of a Physician (Principal Investigator).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research in bioinformatics interested in developing statistical methods and computational algorithms to interpret next-generation sequencing data. This candidate will combine epigenomics, transcriptome, and other types of sequencing data to study gene regulation network, with particular interest in regenerative medicine and Cancer biology. Or wet bench skills with molecular, cellular, and animal research experiences. We expect this candidate to have research background with stem cell differentiation, cancer, and sequencing technologies. Bioinformatics knowledge or experience can be a plus. In addition to typical biomedical research experiments, this person is expected to conduct research based on single-cell technologies including single-cell ChIP-Seq, single-cell RNA-Seq, or single-cell genome-Seq. There will be extensive collaborations with bioinformatics Laboratory members in an environment containing 32 wet benches and 5 research groups.
- Develops research methods and performs research activities. (EF)
- Documents research results and writes reports of results for presentation and/or publication in professional journals and other publications. (EF)
- Assists in maintaining the functionality and operations of the Principal Investigator’s laboratory. (EF)
- Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values. (EF)
- Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace. (EF)
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Principal Investigator.
M.D. or Ph.D required
Experience requirements will vary depending on the field of research.
Postdoctoral Fellow 0 – no Postdoc experience required
Postdoctoral Fellow 1 – one year of Postdoc experience
Postdoctoral Fellow 2 – two years of experience
Postdoctoral Fellow 3 – three years of postdoc experience
Postdoctoral Fellow 4 – four years of postdoc experience
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Experience in biomedical research required.
Houston Methodist Research Institute was formed in 2004 to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies and treatments. The research institute was created to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors, and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 540,000 square foot building dedicated to research, the research institute houses over 1,500 staff and trainees, 277 principal investigators and has more than 840 ongoing clinical trials.
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M – F