Postdoctoral Fellow, Clinical Bioinformatics
his position focuses on developing novel pipelines and computational approaches for RNA-seq data analyses, particularly isoform quantification and data normalization, and applying the methods to analyze RNA-seq data from inflammatory diseases. The ideal candidate is expected to have a PhD with broad knowledge in the area of Next Generation Sequencing (NGS), especially in RNA-seq data analysis.
- Perform a comprehensive evaluation of the state-of-the-art algorithms for isoform quantification
- Apply the best one or two isoform quantification algorithms to explore isoform changes or switches under different biological conditions
- Extend Pfizer’s QuickRNASeq pipeline to support RNA-seq data analysis at the transcript level, and investigate the impact of the choice of genome annotation (such as RefSeq, UCSC Genes, Ensembl) on isoform quantification
- Develop novel computational approaches for more accurate and faster isoform quantification
- Develop a robust normalization strategy for whole blood RNA-seq data set
- Assist with RNA-seq data analysis for Pfizer’s Inflammation and Immunology RU and Bioanalytical Precision Medicine Group
- Write and publish articles in quality peer-reviewed journals, and present at internal and external meetings
- A PhD in Bioinformatics or related fields.
- A highly innovative, collaborative and critical mindset
- Passion to build an innovative software solution to empower the development of ground-breaking immunotherapies.
- Publication record of original scientific work in high-quality journals
- Proficient in verbal communication and excellent writing skills
- Must work well with other members of the group and outside collaborators
Technical skills requirement:
- Must be proficient in a Unix environment
- Proficient in programming with UNIX shell script, R, Perl, Java and etc
- Extensive knowledge in the NGS field with a demonstrated track of record in RNA-seq data analysis
- Familiar with NGS algorithms, such as Bowtie, BWA, STAR, cufflinks, RSEM, featureCounts, HT-seq and etc
- Experience in algorithm development and implementing pipelines for NGS data analysis
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.