TITLE: Bioinformatics Analyst – Rouskin Lab
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt: Research Staff
REPORTS TO: Principal Investigator
Collaborate on short and long term bioinformatics projects and independent research projects to support scientific research objectives of the lab. Utilize programming and bioinformatics skills to design and develop databases and tools directly related to biological research. Analyzes experimental data, addresses methodological problems in experimental protocols and results. Uses discretion in prioritizing and organizing workflow and in optimizing methodologies and results.
RESEARCH BACKGROUND AND GOALS
RNA is unique among all biomolecules as it can be both information-storing and enzymatic. These features are tightly linked to its structure, in which base-pairing interactions give rise to a highly folded macromolecule. Indeed, in addition to the genetic code, which specifies the composition of proteins, we now know there is a secondary layer of information encoded in every transcript in the form of RNA structure that can regulate processes as diverse as splicing, localization, and translation efficiency. Recent genome-wide association and biochemical studies have linked multiple diseases, including cancer and neurodegenerative diseases, to changes in RNA structure. The lab is focused on developing new methodology to identify and quantify multiple RNA conformations and to use this methodology to answer fundamental and unresolved questions on 1) HIV-1 RNA structure and 2) pre-mRNA structures that control alternative splicing in neurons.
- Develop and implement existing and new computational methods and tools for high-throughput sequencing analysis (RNA-seq, DMS-seq) of diverse data
- Assist with the design and development of major bioinformatics-related programming projects.
- Write custom scripts to access databases and analyze data.
- Write custom web tools for scientists
- Assist with the preparation and teaching of courses and/or demonstrations on the use of bioinformatics tools.
- Consults scientific literature as needed.
- Other tasks as required or assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, bioinformatics or a field directly related to the work.
- Proven experience using bioinformatics to solve biologically important questions.
- Knowledge of Python.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong organizational skills.
Please send resumes to: email@example.com
OR mail to: Whitehead Institute, Attn: HR, 455 Main Street, Cambridge, MA 02142