Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research
About the Next Generation Sequencing Group
The ability to sequence each patient’s genome in great detail, quickly and inexpensively, is changing the practice of medicine. At NIBR, we are dedicated to the development of therapies that improve clinical outcomes for patients. Next generation sequencing and other cutting-edge molecular characterization technologies will be important tools for discovering breakthrough therapeutics, and for delivering the right medicines to the right patients.
In 2012 NIBR launched the Next Generation Diagnostics (NGDx) group at our global headquarters in Cambridge, MA. The NGDx team leverages cutting-edge technologies, such as next generation sequencing, for characterizing human tissues to identify biomarkers relevant to therapeutic response. The goal is to develop a robust and comprehensive molecular profile for each patient.
We are looking for a highly qualified and motivated scientist with in depth experience in next-generation sequencing, technology development, and related bioinformatics analysis.
Responsibilities will include:
* Lead a group of scientific associates to design and conduct experiments, to interpret and challenge experimental results and manage the day-to-day tasks of the genomics laboratory
* Test and apply new scientific methodologies and techniques to identify and develop innovative solutions to answer experimental / scientific questions
* Interact with diverse project teams and provide expertise in genomic technologies and experimental design
* Lead development and production efforts for targeted sequencing and other biomarker assays
* Conduct library prep, QC, and sequencing work for Illumina instruments
* Work closely with bioinformatics colleagues to analyze data and assess data quality
* Contribute to the design and implementation of internal data analysis pipelines and LIMS systems
* Investigate and evaluate new technologies and make recommendations for implementation
* Develop protocols for new technologies and oversee pilot studies
* Assist software engineers with the design of informatics around new technologies
* Write internal reports and contribute to external publications
* Conduct and supervise lab to ensure compliance with Novartis HSE guidelines and policies
To qualify, candidates must have:
* BS/MS in a relevant discipline with at least 5 years of relevant work experience
* Hands-on experience with the operation of NGS and associated instrumentation. The ideal candidate will be experienced in various types of NGS data (Exome, RNA-Seq, etc.)
* Experience with complementary technologies (e.g. multiplex PCR, qPCR, digital PCR, Nanostring, Raindance, etc)
* Familiarity with liquid handling automation, especially with how automation may be used in NGS workflows
* Familiarity with lab operations in a quality regulated environment (CLIA, GCLP, GLP, etc) is preferred
* Candidates are required to have good organizational and interpersonal skills. Critical thinking skills and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment are essential.