Title – Scientist – Genome Analysis Unit (Technical Operations Scientist Career Category Research Employee Subgroup Salaried FT Country (State/Region) United States – California Location (City) US – CA – South San Francisco Amgen
Job Description – Amgen is a biotechnology pioneer that discovers, develops, and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses. With a deep and broad pipeline of potential new medicines, we continue to advance science to serve patients. The Genome Analysis Unit at Amgen is seeking a talented and motivated computational biologist to join our research team. The GAU is a technology innovation group within Discovery Research focused on target discovery and new modality development. The group operates autonomously as well as collaboratively across all areas of Discovery Research to accelerate and enable drug discovery at Amgen.
A major focus of this position will be comprehensive assessments of tissue expression distributions and transcript variants of genes targeted by Amgen drug development programs. A significant component of this role will be expert analysis of RNA-Seq datasets (internal and external). Experience with projects involving Next Generation Sequencing, and RNA-Seq in particular, is desirable. Beyond this primary focus, a variety of additional scientific research opportunities are available in many of the major disease biology areas that Amgen is currently investigating.
Basic Qualifications – Doctorate degree OR – Master’s degree & 5 years of scientific experience OR – Bachelor’s degree & 7 years of scientific experience
Preferred Qualifications –
- Experience with analysis and interpretation of Next Generation Sequencing data (e.g., RNA-Seq, Genome/Exome-Seq).
- Comfortable programming (e.g., Python, R, Java) and working in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Post-doctoral training in Bioinformatics or other relevant scientific field.
- A background in biology, especially as it pertains to human disease in the fields of Oncology, Immunology, Metabolic Disease, and Neurological Disease.
- Strong verbal and written skills, and an ability to work independently as well as in small teams.
Additional Info – Amgen will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.APPLY