BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) (Menlo Park, CA)
Cellular Research, Inc., a biotechnology research and development company founded in 2011 by innovators from Silicon Valley and Stanford University, was recently acquired by Becton Dickinson and has become an integral part of the new start-up Genomics business at BD. Our mission is to revolutionize life science research by enabling high-resolution investigation of single cells and limited samples, thereby creating newbenchmarks and delivering new capabilities in discovery and drug development. Cellular Research has developed Molecular Indexing to deliver these capabilities. Molecular Indexing is a revolutionary technology that enablesdirect and precise counting of individual molecules, genes, chromosomes, andother genetic materials in very small samples and individual cells.
The successful candidate will work with a team of software developers, bioinformaticians, and wet lab scientists in a very exciting and cutting edge field of single cell genomics and expression analysisto develop analytical, statistical, and visualization algorithms, implement tools and software pipelines used to analyze large multidimensional biological datasets, e.g. DNA/RNA sequencing data.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop Python software backend applications and pipelines to analyze large amounts of genomic data including those from Next Generation Sequencing (e.g. RNA-seq)
- Develop web frontends for external users
- Package, deploy, and maintain software
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree
- 3 years of professional web developmentexperience
- Strong Python programming skills
- Experience of creating web backends and frontends using Python web frameworks (e.g. Django, Flask, Tornado)
- Experience with relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL) and SQL language
- Team-oriented, strong communicator who effectively adjusts to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Able to prioritize and deliver results with a high emphasis on quality, technical rigor, and attention to detail.
- Experiencewith NoSQL databases
- Experience packaging Python software and Continuous Integration systems
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum practices
- Experience with Linux, shell (e.g. Bash) scripting, and command line-driven analysis tools
- Experience of development and computing in cloud (e.g. Amazon Web Services) and cluster environments (e.g. SGE/UGE)
- Experience with C# and other languages e.g. R, C/C or Java
- Experience with Python data analysis and visualization libraries e.g. numpy, pandas, matplotlib, scikit-learn, etc.
Must be ateam-oriented, strong communicator who effectively adjusts to technical and non-technical audiences. You must also be able to prioritize and deliver results with a high emphasis on quality, technical rigor, and attention to detail.
Becton, Dickinson andCompany is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do notunlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed,national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civilunion status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, genderidentity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteranstatus.APPLY