Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley, CA)
The Department of Energy (DOE) Joint Genome Institute in Walnut Creek, CA (a division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab) is searching for an experienced Research Associate. Under general direction, performs research assignments that require molecular biology and biochemistry knowledge, concepts, and techniques. Provides research support in complex scientific instrument operation, sample preparation, analysis, experimental design and execution, and data collection & analysis for genomics sequencing tasks within a high-throughput environment in support of DOE mission areas in clean energy generation, climate, and environmental sciences. Design and conduct experiments aimed at improving quality, troubleshooting failures, and reducing sequencing process costs; contribute to and lead optimization, development, and implementation projects for the advancement and scale-up of a variety of sequencing technologies. May provide technical guidance and training to other employees. This position requires the use of independent judgment, problem solving skills, and application of molecular biology techniques. May be required to lift up to 25 lbs. and maneuver up to 50 lbs. occasionally, and work in a cold environment with freezers at temperatures of -80c. Position will report to the Sequencing Platforms group supervisor.
**Specific Job Duties**
* Utilize molecular biology and biochemistry concepts, knowledge and techniques to perform complex RNA/DNA sequencing applications, including sample preparation,sequencer library creation, library quantification, and sequencer operation ofPacific Biosciences and/or Illumina analyzer platforms.
* Participate in and lead continuous improvement, process optimization, development, and implementation projects for advancement and scale-up of next generation sequencing technologies.
* Design and conduct experiments aimed at improving quality, troubleshooting failures,and reducing cost of sequencing processes.
* Design and conduct experiments for testing and implementation of new protocols,reagents/ consumables, and technologies.
* Create,design, develop and maintain standard operating procedure and training documents for lab methods.
* Operate a variety of robotic and laboratory equipment used in high throughput sample processing and sequencing, and perform quality control and maintenance of equipment and robotics.
* Using independent judgment conducts analysis of daily sequencing results using system-analysis software, internal databases & reports, and statistical/spreadsheet software; troubleshoot process issues, generate reports, present findings and provide recommendations on poor performing instruments and samples and/or solutions to process issues.
* Interact regularly and collaborate with cross-functional groups both internal and external such as Quality Control, Instrumentation and Informatics to troubleshoot and resolve complex technical problems impacting quantity and quality of samples and data.
* Usedatabases and various software programs to track and monitor the performance ofreagents, instruments, samples, and process steps. Provide regular reports and status updates on throughput metrics and projects.
* Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook of daily production operations;observe and document any deviations from established protocols and bring them to supervisor’s attention.
* Maintain a clean and safe laboratory work area and ensure compliance to safety policies;responsible for managing waste streams and coordinating disposal of hazardous waste; perform daily maintenance, clean up, and workspace organization within assigned work areas.
* Provide technical guidance and training on laboratory procedures to other technicians and staff.
* Attend and present technical and production status reportsat regular group and departmental meetings.
* Conducts tours for visitors of the sequencing platform areas.
**Key Success Factors**
* BA/BS in a life sciences (Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics, or related science) and five years of experience in a technical/laboratory role with increasing responsibility or an MS degree and two to three years of experience.
* Demonstrated knowledge of DNA/RNA and genomic sequencing methods and experience utilizing high-throughput automated systems and equipment.
* Demonstrated knowledge and experience utilizing next generation sequencing technologies and familiar with issues related to sequence quality and assembly.
* Demonstrated experience participating in laboratory optimization and development projects & teams.
* Demonstrated knowledge of experimental design, and experience setting up molecular biology, instrumentation, and process optimization experiments.
* Effective time management, organization, and planning skills.
* Ability to draw statistical conclusions from data and make recommendations for next steps
* Excellent and effective interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills; ability to interact collaboratively with staff at all levels of the organization.
* Demonstrated ability to work autonomously as well as part of a diverse team environment.
* Detail-oriented with strong writing and record-keeping skills.
* Competent in the use of computers and related software programs; i.e., PC, Mac, and UNIX operating systems.
* Experience working in fast passed production environment with changing priorities and technologies.
* M.S. degree in molecular biology, biochemistry or related field.
* Experience applying modern lean manufacturing and Six-Sigma principals to improve operational efficiencies within a manufacturing or laboratory environment.
Note: This is an initial 1-year term appointment. The appointment may be extended or converted to career based on successful work performance, continued funding and ongoing business need. This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes. The work schedule may include after hours and/or weekends. Work will be performed at the DOE Joint Genome Institute (JGI) located in Walnut Creek, CA.A background check is required.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status._www.lbl.gov_APPLY