University of Colorado – School of Medicine
Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
Bioinformatics Fellows for the RNA Bioscience Initiative
Position – Research Associate
Posting # – 04509
The newly formed RNA Bioscience Initiative at the University of Colorado School of Medicine seeks to hire RNA Bioinformatics Fellows. The Bioinformatics Fellowships are unique, semi-autonomous postdoctoral positions at the Research Associate Level that provide informatics training with the goal of mastering the large skill set needed for RNA bioinformatics analysis.
Fellows will develop and apply software for the analysis of a variety of RNA sequencing and other experiments to:
- Measure the abundance of small and long non-coding RNAs
- The diversity of mRNA isoforms by splicing in bulk and single cells
- The association of RNA-protein interactions by RIP and CLIP-seq
- T he production of nascent RNA transcripts using GRO-seq
- The stability of mRNAs after transcription
- Ribosomal profiling
- in vivo RNA polymerase II distribution
We anticipate hiring several fellows over the next 5 years who will share newly renovated, common space to maximize collegial interactions. The fellows will have the opportunity to interact with a variety of RNA informatics researchers on campus, and will support informatics analysis for the recipients of seed grants provided by the RNA Bioscience Initiative. The fellows will develop new visualization tools that enable interactive analysis of RNA sequencing data sets. In addition, the fellows will develop and help teach curricula (e.g., graduate level classes and week-long short courses) that promote the use of RNA informatics on the Anschutz campus. Our ideal candidates have a Ph.D. in biological or computer sciences, and wish to expand their training to become proficient in both disciplines. The positions will be for two years with the possibility to extend the fellowship for an additional year. Stipends will be above the NIH recommended pay scale. Toward the end of their tenure, Fellows will have the opportunity to develop collaborations with faculty in the School of Medicine and liaise with pharmaceutical and biotech companies to secure a stable long-term position in Informatics.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae and the contact information for 3 people who will provide letters of reference.
Materials should be submitted through CU Careers, posting # 04509
We will begin reviewing applications immediately and the search will remain open until the positions are filled.
- PhD in biological or computational discipline, MS candidates will also be considered
- Preferred expertise in R, Python or C++
- Working knowledge of computational and molecular biology, and high throughput DNA sequencing data analysis
- Demonstrated ability to teach bioinformatics, computational Biology and/or genomics courses and workshops
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located atEmployee Services.
The University of Colorado:
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 4509
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please be advised that the University does check references as part of the employment process.
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.