Postdoctoral Fellow – Functional Genomics of Immuno-Oncology
2015 will be the year of the AbbVie Postdoctoral Program launch. We are looking for the incoming class to join AbbVie as the company is positioning itself for another significant year of growth and of the continuing advancement of its patient-driven science and its strategic priorities. In a collaborative, resource rich environment, you and your scientific mentor will be exploring, targeting, investigating and evaluating key areas of novel research with a publication as the end point. We provide an exceptional postdoctoral opportunity with the leader of functional genomics platform as his/her mentor, located in Lake County, Illinois.
Research in the TEST (Target Enabling Science and Technology) laboratories is focused on enabling AbbVie science and our pipeline in three key areas: target discovery and validation, small molecule lead discovery and bioassay support for medicinal chemistry. Our multidisciplinary team brings together expertise in cell biology, genomics tools and technologies, chemical proteomics, biochemical, biophysical & cell-based imaging assay platforms and automation. Our approach is to augment our strong internal foundation by partnering with world class external laboratories to gain access to state-of-the-art technology and know-how that enhance our capabilities and help us improve our own skill sets. Our goal is to be strong scientific partners with disease biology experts to apply cutting edge science and technologies to enable new target discovery, target validation, and early pipeline creation. TEST is committed to meeting the most critical challenges for our Discovery pipeline and we continue to augment our capabilities and build for the future. Major initiatives within our team include building our functional genomics platform, rebuilding industry leading fragment-based drug discovery and creating a center of excellence for bioassay support for Lake County medicinal chemistry.
Key responsibilities include:
· Lead a research program to develop novel in vitro and in vivo discovery models using state-of-the-art genomic, proteomic, and other advanced technology platforms.
· Will apply these methods to discover and validate key regulators of anti-tumor immunity in innate and adaptive immune systems. Potential areas of investigation include, but not be limited to, mechanistic studies involving suppression of tumor antigen presentation, immunosuppressive agents in the tumor microenvironment, immune cell trafficking and infiltration, and synergistic combination of immune checkpoint molecules.
· Will have access to state-of-the-art technologies such as CRISPR, RNAi, NGS, RNA Seq, and other genomic and proteomic platforms and bioinformatics support.
· Exercise creativity, innovative thinking, and calculated risk-taking in conducting research projects in collaboration with a diverse community of scientists across multiple disciplines.
· Research results are expected to be published in high quality peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- PhD in immunology, cancer immunology, or immune-oncology
- Proficiency in cellular immunological analyses including flow cytometry and sorting of primary immune cells
- Proficiency in diverse cell and molecular techniques including primary or stem cell isolation and culture, transfection, viral transduction, western blotting, qRT-PCR, etc…
- Basic understanding of various genomic technologies such as CRISPR, RNAi, NGS, RNA Seq, and Affymetrix GeneChips
- Direct or indirect experience in mouse models of cancer or autoimmune disease
- Evidence of independent research capability including hypothesis development, experimental design and execution, data interpretation, problem solving, and project management
- Minimum of one first-author research paper published in a well-respected scientific journal
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Ability to thrive in a highly collaborative, fast-paced matrix research environment
- Strong desire to work in biopharmaceutical R&D to translate basic discovery into medicine
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication, leadership, and project management skills
- Proven track record of teamwork, adaptability, innovation, initiative, and integrity
- Global mindset to thrive in a diverse culture and environment
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Job Classification: Experienced
Job: RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Primary Location: USA-Illinois-Lake County
Organization: VCHR-Corp HR
Req ID: 15000003MC
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/DisabledAPPLY