Director, Next Generation Sequencing Core
The Salk Institute for Biological Studies
|Job #: D827
|Closes On: Open Until Filled
|Job Title: Director, Next Generation Sequencing Core
|Status: Regular Full Time
|Benefits Eligible: Yes
|Laboratory/Department: Next Generation Sequencing Core
To increase the competitiveness of the Salk Institute in Genomic Medicine and Genomics, the Sequencing Core works to fulfill three functions: 1) provide cost-effective, rapid turn-around sequencing services, 2) perform outreach in the form of training, consultation and collaboration with as many labs as possible to foster broad uptake and efficient use of sequencing-based methods within the Salk, 3) facilitate use and development of cutting-edge methods and technology.
|Position Description:Core Operations:
- Directs Sequencing Core personnel and lead efforts for the establishment of this new core facility. This includes planning and implementation of workflows and related processes and establishing the scope of services offered.
- Maintains, troubleshoots and performs day-to-day work on sequencing equipment (specifically: Illumina HiSeq2500 and support equipment).
- Performs procedures associated with DNA sequencing; including DNA library preparation, sample quantification & preparation, and sequencer operation.
- Implements workflows for established Next Gen sequencing applications for genomic DNA, targeted capture, ChIP-seq, RNA-seq, small RNA-seq, and bisulfite sequencing.
- Interfaces with the Integrative Genomics and Bioinformatics Core to obtain data-centric feedback and optimize sequencing operations.
Core Development and Outreach:
- Performs outreach for the Sequencing Core by providing advice and consultations to faculty and their research group members on appropriate Genomics methods, experimental setup and experimental planning.
- Develops, assesses and adapts new technologies, protocols and software.
- Provides vision and interacts collaboratively with faculty advisors for long-range planning for the continued development of the Genomics Sequencing Core.
- Assists faculty in the preparation of grants that utilize genomics and NGS approaches.
- Contributes to the writing of project proposals and manuscripts utilizing NGS technologies and core services.
- Collaborates and assists Salk researchers on application and development of advanced Genomics methods.
- Identifies, develops, tests and implements novel methods and technology pertinent to the research conducted at the Salk Institute.
- Optimizes and supervises the continued enhancement of Core protocols and processes (protocol optimization, adaptation for high-throughput, etc.).
- As the technical expert the incumbent will be expected to keep up to date with the latest trends and technologies in this field.
- Provide daily leadership and management of administrative activities and serve as a principal adviser to the Sr. Directors and Faculty advisors on all Core administrative matters.
- Helps to formulate, propose and implement business and management goals, policies and procedures to meet research and Institute objectives.
|Education:PhD in relevant biological or chemical science field with experience in genomics and bioinformatics.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in molecular biology/genomics with a minimum of 5 years of hands-on technical experience in next generation sequencing.
- Hands-on experience with Illumina next generation sequencing platforms.
- Experience in preparation for grant funding for projects using next gen sequencing technology is highly desirable.
- Experience with next generation sequencing methods development is highly desirable.
|Special Requirements:Demonstrated ability to manage projects and lead interdisciplinary teams. Excellent interpersonal as well as verbal and written skills are required.